EllenBeth Wachs

My Cats are My Gods

Magical Harassment Fairies aka Dead Nazis

with 17 comments

Trigger Warning for blatant Godwinning

It seems all roads of the current atheist/feminist controversy lead back to Justin Vacula. He recorded a youtube video in which he made the statement that

And I really think that if you’re going to be on the internet, you’re going to be talking a big game, you’re going to be saying really nasty things about people–calling people “sexist”, calling people “misogynsist”–instead of approaching the situation in a different manner and being charitable and saying, “Well, maybe what you have to say there could have been reframed differently.”

The tweet he uses was the end result of one those magical harassment fairies that appeared out of nowhere. The second tweet shown in the video was actually a REtweet of Vacula’s own tweet. Notice the MT in the tweet. That stands for modified tweet. I have never used the phrase “lolwut”  This stemmed from a dialogue with a person using the name John Brown that did appear out of nowhere to harasstweet  me that I should “stop using the term darkies” and asking me “why was I such a racist”  He neglects to show my tweet that I was illustrating a point.

ellenbeth14vaculajohnbrownrapisttweet

I find it interesting that he claims the feminists that are receiving tweets such as this are talking a “big game”  The “big game” I was talking? I actually linked to a post on the infamous slymepit that referred to black people as “darkies”

slymepittercallingpeopledarkies

For this, I was rewarded with heaps of abuse from John Brown that continue unabated and referred to, of course, as a “professional victim.”

john brownjohnbrownellenbethwachsstopattingmejohnbrownellenbethhateswomen johnbrownellenbethrenee

ellenbethcruisingthepitellenbeth25

Was John Brown the actual slymepitter that referred to people as “darkies?” Is that why he is so upset with me? Well, no, he isn’t. The slymepit constantly refers to Freethought Blogs as a hivemind. The fact is that the slymepit exhibits this behavior very clearly in this exchange about me and started a twenty plus page attack on my character with no care or reference to fact or truth.   They want to make you out to be a terrible person but when or if you try to fight back against their abuse, you get labelled a professional victim.

And then THIS harassment fairy appeared out of nowhere

andycummins

Apparently, someone holding a grudge that I blocked him on facebook thinks it’s a good idea to track me down on twitter and harasstweet me to remind me that I think he is a harasser.  What is really interesting about this particular tweet is that I would never block someone for holding a political or world view.  I would certainly never block someone for saying atheism isn’t a political movement because I agree that it isn’t. I absolutely will block someone for abusive language and that is more likely what got him the boot.  Now before you respond and say he didn’t appear out of thin air, that I had previous interaction with him, I will say yes, that is correct. My last interaction with him made it quite clear to him that I wanted nothing further to do with him, though, which he plainly acknowledges.

If these aren’t clear enough magical harassment fairies, let me provide these examples -

himmlersghost mengele

rommel

What is a feminist echo chamber? One has to wonder. You only have to look as far as Freethought Blogs to find differing viewpoints. I am aware that Greta Christina and Taslima Nasreen vary greatly in their feminist thought.

As the person behind these tweets is clearly a fan of the slymepit, will members of the slymepit please step forward to openly denounce these?

Edit- On 3/5/2013, John Brown and I reached an understanding and both apologized for what transpired. He issued a video apology which I have posted below.

Written by EllenBeth Wachs

March 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm

17 Responses

1. I saw the Rommel and Himmler’s Ghost tweets and reported the bastard(s?). Probably useless, but worth a try. Your detractors are cowardly and despicable and doing more to make themselves look bad than you ever could. Keep up the excellent work, EllenBeth, you are making a difference.

bjartesf

March 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm

2. No echo chamber? Ha! Take a look at the A+ forums, you either tow the party line to the letter or you get banned & labeled a misogynist, MRA, sister punisher.

• And? I have as much control over what goes on there as I do the slymepit, which is zero. In case you hadn’t noticed, I am not even a registered member, let alone a moderator. By the way, the only reason your comment got approved was for the others reading. Considering your tweets to me, you have one warning.

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm

3. Hi EllenBeth, I denounce the Nazi troll, he has nothing to do with the slymepit and those comments are completely unacceptable.

windy

March 6, 2013 at 3:41 am

4. Ellenbeth, as far as I know, the Nazi troll has nothing to do with the ‘Pit. I’ll join windy in denouncing it if it makes you feel any better.

lonesagi

March 6, 2013 at 4:48 am

5. Yes, I quite agree with Windy that those comments from that “Nazi troll” are completely and entirely unacceptable. Obviously the work of a complete dickhead and a sociopath if not a psychopath.

However, in passing, as an example of what I would call a “feminist echo chamber”, I might suggest you check out I Blame the Patriarchy (1) which has these helpful hints for the first-time posters:

This is a feminist blog. It discusses feminism from the point of view that the value of the liberation of women from patriarchal oppression is not itself a matter of debate. In order to be considered suitable for posting here, your remarks must proceed from within a framework of radical feminist theory. Thanks!

Dudes make lousy feminists. Therefore, by popular demand, this blog endeavors to cultivate dude-free discourse. Any comment that expresses views proceeding from any discernible male-identified perspective, even if it is superficially pro-feminist, is not suitable for posting here. Generally speaking, this means: If you’re a dude, don’t post here. Don’t use the comments section either …

While some have suggested that might be a POE site, I find that a little hard to believe given the work that has gone in to it. And while less charitable individuals might call that an example of “virulent feminism”, I am somewhat reluctant to do so since Ophelia Benson informs me that linking those two words constitutes misogyny ….

1) “_http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/patriarchy-blaming-the-twisty-way/guidelines-for-commenters/”

Steersman

March 6, 2013 at 5:10 am

• As far as amount of work being the deciding factor for a Poe site, I simply need to point to FreethoughBlags as a counter to the argument that a lot a work makes it less likely to be a Poe.

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 6, 2013 at 12:35 pm

• “Less likely” is not “isn’t”. That one swan happens to be black is hardly proof against the argument that most swans are white.

At least unless one happens to have an outlook similar to young-earth creationists ….

To help you develop your ability to do “thinky work”, I’ll recommend the Wikipedia article on the problem of induction (1) ….

1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction”

Steersman

March 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

6. “In his video, he uses screen captures of some of my tweets but fails to give any context to them.It is a very dishonest tactic at worst, but using the principle of charity, it is a disingenuous tactic at best.”

How simply AWFUL that anyone would do that to you. Quote-mining is, we can all agree, a horrible, dishonest thing to do, and I know, I *know* that you would be the FIRST person to speak out against it no matter where you encountered it.

John C. Welch

March 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm

• No, John, I doubt that I would be the first person to speak out no matter where I encountered it. I see it happen in the slymepit frequently and I don’t speak out most of the time.

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm

7. Maybe – if not probably – that “Himmler’s Ghost” tweeter was just joking. Considering your recent “joke” of a similar nature about Justin Vacula, I would have thought you had a better sense of humour and weren’t quite as hypocritical ….

Steersman

March 12, 2013 at 1:25 am

8. Hah hah! You pitters are so predictable. How long did it take to get from twitter to the pit? You don’t seem to understand that it was MEANT for you. Now run along.

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 12, 2013 at 1:29 am

• Is that a fact? I’ll be sure to respond that way the next time Rebecca Watson complains about the “rape threats” she’s supposedly been receiving. You do seem to have a problem with the concept “sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander”.

But I can expect then that pigs will fly before the Pitters receive an apology from you for virtually calling everyone there a racist?

You’re looking more and more like a class act every time you post something like that ….

Steersman

March 12, 2013 at 2:51 am

9. You’re quite dense, aren’t you? You think I am simply going to allow you to perpetuate that nonsense and insult me at the same time? Take a hike.

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 12, 2013 at 4:04 am

Uh, you don’t give a flying fig about her rape threats. Steersman, after all the posts in the pit about me, you really are even denser than I first gave you credit for if you think I don’t know you can post there.

MyCatsAreMyGods