EllenBeth Wachs

My Cats are My Gods

When they call you a Cougar…

with 5 comments

cougar

Cougar, I knew the word to mean an older woman that was interested in sex (generally with no strings attached) with men usually substantially younger.   I had looked at the word “cougar” as neutral. I didn’t view it as a good or bad thing. I thought it was a rather empowering attitude a woman could take as men have been doing this same thing with no repercussions to their reputation.

In a conversation with some friends, I learned that it is actually rather seen as quite demeaning to women. Men can look upon cougars as desperate and easy lays. “It originally referred to an undesirable older woman, one who, like the wild cat, preyed on the weak and defenseless”.  It was deemed a very sexist term. In searching for the etymology of the word I learned that it could be traced back to a Canadian  hockey team, The Vancouver Canucks, who used the term and referred to their groupies in an unflattering light.

Urban dictionary defines it as

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity — particularly the true hotties — as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.

So, guys, next time you start to refer to a woman as a Cougar, just don’t do that.

Advertisements

Written by EllenBeth Wachs

March 6, 2013 at 2:19 am

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with , ,

5 Responses

1. In not only can, it DOES trace back to the Canucks. That’s 100% positive. Don’t ask how I know … it’s a long story.

myatheistlife

March 6, 2013 at 2:48 am

• Well, of course, now I HAVE to ask how you know that it 100% does!

MyCatsAreMyGods

March 6, 2013 at 2:52 am

• I know people who know people… er, spent some time in the shark club… er, dated a canuck, yeah, that’s it.

myatheistlife

March 6, 2013 at 2:53 am

2. One: It isn’t just guys who use the term cougar. I don’t know why anyone would have that idea.
    Two: Just about all terms to call someone related to sexuality have people who use it negatively; Just as someone always has some sort of issue with /something/ related to sexuality, ande it doesn’t mean someone should declare it sexist and demeaning to women to use it just because some people use it negatively.

“Cougar,” to me, is like “cradle robber”… Cradle robber is sometimes used very negatively and I guess cougar is too, but like you thought before many use Cougar in a neutral or even positive way, so no one should need to stop using it. The people who use negatively are fully aware that loads of other people don’t use it that way or think badly of them.

I say Cougar stays 🙂

Imogen

March 12, 2013 at 3:52 am

3. “I thought it was a rather empowering attitude a woman could take as men have been doing this same thing with no repercussions to their reputation.”

That description is not correct. There is a significant cost to a mans reputation if he should choose to date a woman that is significantly younger than him. I have been called a pedophile for saying that I would consider dating an 18 year old woman.

someone