EllenBeth Wachs

My Cats are My Gods

The Block Bot is unsuitable for general use in its present form

with 7 comments

I was abused by people that use the Block Bot. I then get listed as an abuser on the Block Bot.

Skeptical Software Tools

TwitterReaders of this blog know that I have experience dealing with trolls and spammers on social media. One of the most popular posts on this blog is my how-to guide to preemptively blocking spammers using various Twitter clients (which is sadly in need of updating). I’ve also written on how to report suspicious emails.

Most notably, I’ve successfully helped get one user who personally threatened hundreds of people (including me) arrested by the police in Montreal – not once, but twice. (That case is still ongoing, and I may still have work ahead of me – including potentially testifying for the court case).

Back in the heyday of that person’s serial Twitter spamming, some of us would literally receive hundreds of tweets in a row from this man. Usually his account would be disabled, but he’d return with another one within minutes. Even simply hitting the block button to…

View original post 4,352 more words

Advertisements

Written by EllenBeth Wachs

August 3, 2013 at 10:51 am

Posted in Uncategorized

7 Responses

1. Wow, I can see one misses a lot when they’e on a 30 day respite from social media. Can’t believe someone would put you on there. Ridiculous.

shanepbrady

August 3, 2013 at 11:02 am

• Well, Oolon apparently got hurt when I blocked him after I found him annoying and harassing.

EllenBeth Wachs

August 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

2. This past week’s outings notwithstanding, FWIW, the growing trend of “Other”ing skeptical allies (over the past couple years) reminds me of the very public feud in the Objectivist movement between Nathaniel Branden/Ayn Rand in 1968. Each side’s fans saw the other as not ideologically pure enough, and the most passionate supporters on either side were likely unaware of the interpersonal (far from ideological) conflicts between the two people that may have been driving the “othering” of either party. I wonder how many skeptical spokespeople’s fans engage in sanctimonious battles over what are mainly personality conflicts?

Sometimes it’s both ideological and interpersonal (with a bad egg thrown in). A year ago I relocated from Florida, where a friend is still entangled in a suit adjacent to the AoF mess. Having different sets of priorities within the larger goals of skepticism shouldn’t divide our allegiances as it has. Trying to silence a group of voices that one specific person declares “annoying” is a person’s right, but doesn’t bode well for where we’re headed.

nmillerche

August 10, 2013 at 9:15 pm

• Who is your bad egg in the AoF mess?

EllenBeth Wachs

August 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm

• Well “golly”, I’d have to say it’s the one with the record for most lawsuits.

nmillerche

August 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm

• I see you’ve encountered the same fellow. My friend’s thing is not AoF related, but the mess there drove several people away, including him and a family member of mine. It’s not quite the sort of “othering” that I’m seeing elsewhere in our community, but it surely doesn’t help.

nmillerche

August 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm

• I’m sorry to hear that. Yes, it’s a huge mess. I do believe there may be light at the end of the tunnel 🙂

EllenBeth Wachs